The Hinds Birefringence Imaging Microscope is ideal for measuring birefringence in biological structures (see Figure 1 below), glass, crystals, and many other organic and inorganic samples.
• No Dyes or Fluorescent labels required
• Measures retardation, angle and intensity
• Images retardation, angle and intensity
• Allows color maps to be customized by user for optimal display of data
• Allows maximum, average, and standard deviation over entire image and in user-selected areas or lines
• View data by intensity, birefringence/retardation, angle, or combination
• Histograms for statistical analysis
• User calibration
• Export of data in .csv and binary formats
• Export of data from user selected areas
• Export images in bit, png or tiff formats
• Compatability with third party analysis tool, ImageJ
Phase unwrapping technology is now included with every MicroImager.
→ For highly birefringent samples, the Exicor® MicroImagerTM has the ability to measure up to 3500nm with 4 color configuration and up to 2400nm with 3 color configuration.
Figures 3 & 4. Birefringence images, left to right: stress measured in diamond sample; acrylic bonded to an optic.
|Retardation Repeatability||≤ 0.6 nm (3 sigma)|
|Light Source Wavelengths||Red (655 nm)|
|Amber (615 nm)|
|Green (530 nm)|
|Blue (475 nm)|
|Retardation Measurement Range with single color||1 nm - 0.5λ nm|
|Retardation Measurement Range with Phase Unwrapping||3 Color: 1 nm - 2400 nm|
|4 Color: 1 nm - 3500 nm|
|Measurement Speed with Single Color||Nominal 7 sec|
|Dimensions Footprint||30.5 cm x 25.4 cm|
|Stage Travel||75 mm, 56 mm|
RESOLUTION AND FIELD OF VIEW
|Imager||Resolution||2048 nm x 2048 nm|
|Objective||Resolution||Field of View|
|2X||5 micron||5.6 mm x 5.6 mm|
|5X||2 micron||2.2 mm x 2.2 mm|
|10X||1 micron||1 mm x 1 mm|
J. J. Cardiel, Y. Zhao, P. de la Iglesia, L. D. Pozzo and A. Q. Shen, Soft Matter, 2014, DOI: 10.1039/C4SM01920B.
In the mid-2000's, Hinds Instruments entered into an agreement with Cambridge Research and Instrumentation (CRi) to represent the LCPolscope® product line and later the Abrio® product line. After a series of business transitions, the Abrio product line was discontinued by Perkin Elmer. At the same time, Hinds Instruments introduced the Exicor® MicroImagerTM, which improved on CRi's liquid crystal technology using the Hinds Photoelastic Modulator (PEM) technology.
Contact us for more information about the Exicor® MicroImagerTM.